Sunday, 1 September 2013

Flipping with Edmodo - My plan for the semester!

As the school year is about to start, I thought I would share my plan for how I will carry out my flipped class. A few things are key for me:
  • I house my videos on YouTube and they're public - this makes it easy for students to "google" when they need to.
  • I need to know if students have seen the video - so YouTube playlists aren't enough.
  • I need a way to check for understanding and know what students got from the video (and this is ideally done before they even come to class!)
  • I need a forum for students to ask questions (and answer if they can) and if this is done before class, even better.
  • The platform has to be user friendly for students.
  • The platform must be user friendly for me so that I don't give up.
  • The easier the platform is to use, the better, because I'd like to be able to point other teachers to it without making their jobs more difficult.



This list of needs has lead me to try using Edmodo.  It is a free Learning Management System (LMS) (they claim they're not, but they essentially are) which allows you to connect with students as well as other teachers.  Here are some reasons why Edmodo is my tool of choice for the year:










1. Quizzes with instant feedback!

It is ridiculously easy to make a quiz and send it to my class.  When I make a quiz on Edmodo I find out, in real-time, when students complete and submit them. I also get an awesome breakdown of how well each student did, or how well each question was answered.  So basically I walk into class knowing what my students are missing. That's pretty cool if you ask me.

Students find out right away if they're right or wrong.
I found out how students did on each question.
















2. Students can share questions

Students can post "replies" to my video and to each other. This means that if a student wants to ask a question, the whole class can see it.  Someone can reply to it and they job is done.  Sometimes I may even reply to it, but I'm sure the students will beat me to it.  



3. So EASY!

Edmodo is very easy to use for teachers and students.  I've just encouraged a new teacher to join.  This teacher has very little tech experience, and has never used an LMS before.  She said it was very uplifting to see that it was so easy to jump in and just do it!


Finally, I want to say that I'm not pushing Edmodo, but I do think that the list that I mentioned above is a good one for things to consider when flipping and deciding how to do it, and Edmodo is one of the programs that does all of those things well.

Please let me know if you've got other suggestions about other programs, and also if there's anything I've missed about Edmodo.  I'm looking forward to this!

Flip on flippers.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ve, I posted a comment on this post on my blog as it was getting extremely long. Thanks for this great post! You can find the comment at http://wp.me/p3QiTB-I. Sorry, I don't know how to insert a link.

    ReplyDelete